One of Brian’s Favorite Quotes
The rule of law does not mean that the protection of the law must be available only to a fortunate few or that the law should be allowed to be prostituted by vested interests for protecting and upholding the status quo under the guise of enforcement of civil and political rights. The poor too have civil and political rights and the rule of law is meant for them also, though today it exists only on paper and not in reality.”
— Supreme Court of India
PUDR v. Union of India (AIR 1982 SC 1473, 1477)
Fund Availability Under a Grants for Transportation of Veterans in Highly Rural Areas
H. Application Selection Methodology: VA will examination and measure all initial extend applications in response to this Notice according to a following stairs and criteria:
(a) Initial extend scoring: Applications will be scored regulating a following preference criteria:
(1) VA will endowment adult to 40 points (10 points per question) formed on a program’s devise for successful implementation, as demonstrated by a following:
(i) Program range is defined, and applicant has privately indicated a mode(s) or method(s) of travel services to be supposing by a applicant or identified subrecipient.
(ii) Program bill is defined, and applicant has indicated that extend supports will be sufficient to totally exercise a program.
(iii) Program staffing devise is defined, and applicant has indicated that there will be adequate staffing for smoothness of travel services according to module scope.
(iv) Program timeframe for doing is defined, and applicant has indicated that a smoothness of travel services will be timely.
(2) VA will endowment adult to 30 points (15 points per question) formed on a program’s analysis plan, as demonstrated by a following:
(i) Measurable goals for last a success of smoothness of travel services.
(ii) Ongoing comment of a quantifiable goals for last a success of smoothness of travel services, with a means of adjusting a module if required.
(3) VA will endowment adult to 20 points (10 points per question) formed on a applicant’s village relations in a areas to be serviced, as demonstrated by a following:
(i) Applicant has existent relations with state or internal agencies or private entities, or will rise such relationships, and has shown these relations will raise a program’s effectiveness.
(ii) Applicant has determined past operative relations with state or internal agencies or private entities that have supposing services identical to those offering by a program.
(4) VA will endowment adult to 10 points (5 points per question) formed on a innovative aspects of a program, as demonstrated by a following:
(i) How module will brand and offer veterans who differently would be incompetent to obtain care.
(ii) How module will implement or confederate existent open resources (VA, state, or other).
(b) Initial extend selection: VA will use a following routine to endowment initial grants:
(1) VA will arrange those field who accept during slightest a smallest volume of sum points (70 points) and points per difficulty set onward in this notice. The field will be ranked in sequence from top to lowest scores.
(2) VA will use a grantee’s ranking as a basement for preference for funding. VA will account a top ranked grantees for that appropriation is available.
(c) Renewal extend scoring: Renewal applications will be scored regulating a following preference criteria: NOTE:Renewal grants might usually be saved starting in mercantile year 2015; a following criteria are supposing merely as allege notice for a advantage of field who might accept an initial extend in mercantile year 2014 that they would like to replenish in mercantile year 2015.
(1) VA will endowment adult to 55 points formed on a success of a grantee’s program, as demonstrated by a following:
(i) Application shows that a grantee or identified subrecipient supposing travel services, that authorised participants to be supposing medical caring timely and as scheduled.
(ii) Application shows that participants were confident with a travel services supposing by a grantee or identified subrecipient formed on a compensation survey.
(2) VA will endowment adult to 35 points (17.5 points per question) formed on a cost efficiency of a program, as demonstrated by a following:
(i) The grantee or identified subrecipient administered a module on budget.
(ii) Grant supports were employed in a essential manner, as interpreted by information supposing by a grantee to VA as compulsory underneath § 17.725(a)(1) by (a)(7).
(3) VA will endowment adult to 15 points (7.5 points per question) formed on a border to that a module complied with:
(i) The extend agreement.
(ii) Applicable laws and regulations.
(d) Renewal Grant Selection: VA will use a following routine to endowment renovation grants:
(1) VA will arrange those applications that accept during slightest a smallest volume of sum points (75 points) and points per difficulty set onward in this Notice. The applications will be ranked in sequence from top to lowest scores.
(2) VA will use a applications’ ranking as a basement for awarding grants. VA will endowment grants for a top ranked applications for that appropriation is available.
I. Application Requirements: Additional extend focus mandate are specified in a focus package. Submission of an improper or deficient focus package will outcome in a focus being deserted during threshold review. The focus package contains all compulsory forms and certifications. Selections will be done formed on criteria described in a Final Rule published in a () on Apr 2, 2013, that is codified in 38 CFR 17.700 by 17.730. Applicants will be told of any additional information indispensable to endorse or explain information supposing in a focus and a deadline by that to contention such information.
J. Grant Agreements: Grant agreements contingency be executed before to VA obligating extend supports according to a following stairs and criteria.
(a) General. After a grantee is awarded a extend in suitability with 38 CFR 17.705(b) or 17.705(d), VA will breeze a extend agreement to be executed by VA and a grantee. Upon execution of a extend agreement, VA will want a certified amount. The extend agreement will yield that:
(1) The grantee contingency work a module in suitability with a supplies of this territory and a extend application.
(2) If a grantee’s focus identified a subrecipient, such subrecipient contingency work a module in suitability with a supplies of 38 CFR 17.715 and a extend application.
(3) If a grantee’s focus identified supports that will be used to gain or work vehicles to directly yield travel services, a following mandate contingency be met:
(i) Title to a vehicles contingency vest only in a grantee or identified subrecipient, or with leased vehicles in an identified lender.
(ii) The grantee or identified subrecipient must, during a minimum, yield engine car guilt word for a vehicles to a same border they would protection vehicles procured with their possess funds.
(iii) All car operators contingency be protected in a U.S. State or Territory to work such vehicles.
(iv) Vehicles contingency be protected and confirmed in suitability with a manufacturer’s recommendations.
(v) Vehicles contingency be operated in suitability with germane Department of Transportation regulations concerning movement mandate underneath a Americans with Disabilities Act.
K. Payments underneath a grant: Grantees will accept payments electronically by a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Payment Management System.
L. Grantee Reporting Requirements: VA places good importance on a shortcoming and burden of grantees. As described in § 17.725 of a Final Rule and 38 CFR 17.725, VA has procedures in place to guard services supposing to veterans by compulsory stating from grantees as follows.
(a) Program efficacy. All grantees who accept possibly an initial or renovation extend contingency contention to VA quarterly and annual reports that prove a following information:
(1) Record of time spent aiding with a sustenance of travel services.
(2) Record of extend supports spent aiding with a sustenance of travel services.
(3) Trips completed.
(4) Total stretch covered.
(5) Veterans served.
(6) Locations that perceived travel services.
(7) Results of maestro compensation survey.
(b) Quarterly mercantile report. All grantees who accept possibly an initial extend contingency contention to VA a quarterly news that identifies a expenditures of a supports that VA certified and obligated.
(c) Program variations. Any changes in a grantee’s module activities that outcome in deviations from a extend agreement contingency be reported to VA.
(d) Additional reporting. Additional stating mandate might be requested by VA to concede VA to entirely consider module effectiveness.
M. Recovery of Funds by VA: VA might redeem from a grantee any supports that are not used in suitability with a extend agreement. If VA decides to redeem funds, VA will emanate to a grantee a notice of vigilant to redeem extend funds, and grantee will afterwards have 30 days to contention support demonstrating because a extend supports should not be recovered. After examination of all submitted documentation, VA will establish either movement will be taken to redeem a extend funds. When VA determines movement will be taken to redeem extend supports from a grantee, a grantee is afterwards taboo from receipt of any serve extend funds.