Airworthiness Directives; Agusta S.p.A. Helicopters (Type Certificate Currently Held by AgustaWestland S.p.A.) (Agusta)
2014-23-02Agusta S.p.A. Helicopters (Type Certificate Currently Held By AgustaWestland S.p.A.) (Agusta): Amendment 39-18018; Docket No. FAA-2014-0472; Directorate Identifier 2013-SW-040-AD.
(a) Applicability Back to Top
This AD applies to Agusta Model A109E, A109K2, A119, and AW119 MKII helicopters with a main transmission, part number (P/N) 109-0400-03-103, 109-0400-05-103, or 109-0400-03-109, with a Gleason crown, P/N 109-0403-07-103, installed, certificated in any category.
(b) Unsafe Condition Back to Top
This AD defines the unsafe condition as a crack in a Gleason crown. This condition could cause damage to or loss of the main rotor drive and subsequent loss of control of the helicopter.
(c) Effective Date Back to Top
This AD becomes effective December 26, 2014.
(d) Compliance Back to Top
You are responsible for performing each action required by this AD within the specified compliance time unless it has already been accomplished prior to that time.
(e) Required Actions Back to Top
(1) For main transmissions with 2,400 or more hours time-in-service (TIS), within 200 hours TIS and thereafter at intervals not exceeding 1,600 hours TIS, magnetic particle inspect the Gleason crown, P/N 109-0403-07-103, for a crack by following the procedures in:
(i) Annex 1 of Agusta Bollettino Tecnico (BT) No. 109EP-128, Revision A, dated May 28, 2013, for Model A109E helicopters;
(ii) Annex 1 of Agusta BT No. 109K-57, Revision A, dated May 28, 2013, for Model A109K2 helicopters; or
(iii) Annex 1 of Agusta BT No. 119-058, Revision A, dated May 28, 2013, for Model A119 and AW119MKII helicopters.
(2) If there is a crack, before further flight, replace the Gleason crown assembly with a Gleason Crown assembly, P/N 109-0401-27-107. Replacing the Gleason crown assembly with P/N 109-0401-27-107 is terminating action for the inspection requirements of this AD.
(3) After the effective date of this AD, do not install a Gleason crown, P/N 109-0403-07-103, or a Gleason crown assembly, P/N 109-0401-27-101 or P/N 109-0401-27-109, on any helicopter.
(f) Alternative Methods of Compliance (AMOCs) Back to Top
(1) The Manager, Safety Management Group, FAA, may approve AMOCs for this AD. Send your proposal to: Rao Edupuganti, Aviation Safety Engineer, Regulations and Policy Group, Rotorcraft Directorate, FAA, 2601 Meacham Blvd., Fort Worth, Texas 76137; telephone (817) 222-5110; email [email protected].
(2) For operations conducted under a 14 CFR part 119 operating certificate or under 14 CFR part 91, subpart K, we suggest that you notify your principal inspector, or lacking a principal inspector, the manager of the local flight standards district office or certificate holding district office, before operating any aircraft complying with this AD through an AMOC.
(g) Additional Information Back to Top
The subject of this AD is addressed in European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) AD No. 2013-0118, dated June 3, 2013. You may view the EASA AD on the Internet at http://www.regulations.gov in Docket No. FAA-2014-0472.
(h) Subject Back to Top
Joint Aircraft Service Component (JASC) Code: 6320: Main Rotor Gearbox.
(i) Material Incorporated by Reference Back to Top
(1) The Director of the Federal Register approved the incorporation by reference (IBR) of the service information listed in this paragraph under 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51.
(2) You must use this service information as applicable to do the actions required by this AD, unless the AD specifies otherwise.
(i) AgustaWestland Bollettino Tecnico No. 109EP-128, Revision A, dated May 28, 2013.
(ii) AgustaWestland Bollettino Tecnico No. 109K-57, Revision A, dated May 28, 2013.
(iii) AgustaWestland Bollettino Tecnico No. 119-058, Revision A, dated May 28, 2013.
(3) For AgustaWestland service information identified in this AD, contact AgustaWestland, Product Support Engineering, Via del Gregge, 100, 21015 Lonate Pozzolo (VA) Italy, ATTN: Maurizio D’Angelo; telephone 39-0331-664757; fax 39-0331-664680; or at http://www.agustawestland.com/technical-bullettins.
(4) You may view this service information at FAA, Office of the Regional Counsel, Southwest Region, 2601 Meacham Blvd., Room 663, Fort Worth, Texas 76137. For information on the availability of this material at the FAA, call (817) 222-5110.
(5) You may view this service information that is incorporated by reference at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call (202) 741-6030, or go to: http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/cfr/ibr-locations.html.