Nine people were injured Friday night when fireworks went off into the crowd instead of the sky.
During the annual firework show in Avon, Colorado — “Salute to the USA” — officials say a shell exploded in its tube instead of firing upwards.
Thankfully no serious injuries when fireworks exploded in brilliant green in the
“The misfired shell caused the rack of 5” shells to tip in two directions causing two to three shells to cross into the crowd,” a statement obtained by ABC News said.
The nine injured were treated for minor burn abrasions at the scene.
According to NBC News, the show abrubtly ended when the the firework malfunction occurred 17 minutes into a 23-minute affair.
“There was not a lot of room in between groups of people, so when it happened no one could really get up and run,” Jane Imber, a witness, told NBC News. “It was so scary.”